This apple pie recipe has been in my family for years and it is by far one of my absolute favourites desserts for Christmas Lunch!
For the pastry we will need:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2/3 cups of shortening (butter works just fine as well)
- 4 to 6 tablespoons of cold water
For the filling we will need:
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of grounded cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 6 apples (4 depending on the size)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
Now, this recipe is quite easy to make and, aside from the fact that we have to chill the dough for two hours, it doesn´t take too much time.
1) For the pastry, we will mix the flour and the teaspoon of salt in a bowl and we will incorporate the room temperature butter with our hands until we create a dough, add the water if you feel like the dough is too dry for kneading.
2) Once we have the dough ready we will separate it into two discs and freeze them for two hours.
3) For the filling, we will cut the apples into small squares and mix them with the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. I usually add 1/3 cup of lemon juice so the apples don't turn brown.
4) Once the two hours pass we will take our dough disks out of the freezer and proceed to assemble the pie. In a pie pan, we will extend one of the disks until it fully covers the bottom of the pan, then will pour our apple filling and cover it with the other half of the dough. Once our pie is completely covered we will make some cuts of the top part of the pie to allow it to cook properly. (also we can add some melted butter to give it that shiny finish)
5) Bake for 30 minutes at 350º or until golden.
Hot Spiced Cider:
This traditional holiday drink is indispensable to those who enjoy family gatherings and it is super easy to make since it uses a coffee maker (if you don't own one. don't worry you can heat the cider in a saucepan over medium on the stove!)
For the Cider we will need:
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 large orange, quartered with peel
- 2 quarts apple cider
1) Place filter in the coffee basket and fill with brown sugar, allspice, cloves, cinnamon stick, salt, nutmeg and orange with wedges.
2) Pour apple cider into coffee pot where the water usually goes. Brew until ready and serve hot.
So charmers, I hope you enjoy this recipes as much as I do and I wish the best of the Holidays to you and all your loved ones!